A prerequisite before you getting any insight about ‘How AMP works’ is to figure out what exactly AMP is. There is no doubt that soon, portable devices like tablets and mobiles will over-shadow the static devices(computers). Thus, developing a mobile optimized content becomes the first priority of any content marketer. Lately, Google has been investing much of its time for devising a method which could enhance and speed-up mobile browsing experience and has come up with the solution of AMP.
What is Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)?
Keeping it simple, AMP is an open source project enabling the web publishers to create online content which opens quickly if not instantaneously, is devoid of unnecessary ads and requires less power. The best part of AMP is that it retains the quality of the page to an appreciable extent. That is, the page will load in a similar way as with the desktop along with the videos, graphics and animations.
How AMP works?
This question “How AMP works” could be answered in two different ways. In technological terms, the framework it uses to develop mobile pages can be divided into 3 categories:
1. AMP HTML: It restricts some of the less useful features and evokes some new to produce responsive pages.
3. AMP CDN/cache: It provides a proxy-network for delivering all valid AMP documents.
A technology savvy may find this answer interesting, but for those who have their online businesses running,this must not have made much sense.
A totally different perspective is needed for explaining what content marketers should not miss and how AMP works in relation to their business. So, here is what you should not miss when mulling over for upgradation of your site.
- If your site contains a large number of photos and other heavy data which takes a long time to load, this project is the perfect solution. Particularly, E-commerce sites can avail high degree of profit if they upgrade themselves on AMP pattern. Some of the most famous websites using AMP are BBC, Flipkart, The Wall Street Journal and Buzzfeed.
- AMP comes with an impressive analytics tracking system. This provides you with the ability to keep a watch on the traffic. AMP has gives two choices for doing the same. The Amp-pixel element and the Amp-analytics extended components. Former is the used like a simple tag which counts page views whereas latter being a more advanced option.
- Will this affect the SEO? Till now, AMP is not regarded as a search engine ranking factor, but speed is counted as one. AMP provides an upthrust in the speed wherever it is deployed. If two sites compete to have same characteristic but not the speed,the AMP enabled site will rank higher.
- Tempting benefits should not make you overlook the drawbacks. When a user shares AMP link via google the link has google.com URLs instead of the content developer’s site. This could obliterate your brand’s name and will cause a negative impact on traffic.
Google AMP being less proprietary than Facebook’s instant articles or Apple news, it comes out as the most viable option for publishing mobile content.