There is a cutthroat competition among various websites for attracting maximum public traffic and the tactics for achieving the same are not hidden. One such widely known method is the proper usage of ‘keywords’. Keywords are those words or phrases present in your content which enables people to find your website through search engines. So, when everyone is adopting the same method, how can you make your write-up standout from the crowd. Depending on your skills and time you have, few factors must always be kept in mind before choosing the keywords.
- Before you start jotting down your ideas on any topic, proper mining of keywords research resources is a must. Websites like Keyword Discovery, Word Tracker and SEMrush to mention a few, help you to find phrases and words which people often use to find particular information and services online. Along with the list of keywords, these sites also provide total monthly Google search data and ranking for the respective words. Thus, you get an easy access to a complete keywords guide at one place.
- Does the keyword you chose has any relation with content or adds any relevance to it? It isn’t imperative to go for keywords with maximum searches and then trying to fit them out of nowhere. This will only deteriorate your content. Keywords should come out naturally in your writing and must be in sync with the content. It should match with your business or idea and efficiently address the targeted audience. This helps in retaining the quality of the write-up.
- Once you are able to figure out your keyword, the very next question which pops up is the extent to which one should use it. What’s the use if your work gets unnoticed and fails to get the traffic just because of the inappropriate usage of the keyword. If your targeted keyword has been used once in 150-200 words then you are on the right track. But there is no harm in using it often until it goes with the flow and doesn’t seem abrupt.
- Another overlooked fact is the spelling. It can make a huge difference on your ranking in the search engines. ‘Mobile phones’ is a standard term but people generally type for ‘mobilephones’. So, one should try to include every possible orientation of words.A very rare and essential habit which could bring the content marketer to the forefront is developing their own keywords guide. Your very own keywords guide will keep you updated and help you in getting a better understanding of the variations and trends pertaining to keywords.
- Getting the rank of your topic from any online keywords guide will provide you with the initial status of where you stand. Tools like WebCeo, BrightEdge and SEOmoz are easy to use and provide with the ranking data. Managing, tracking and optimising your keyword over time will keep you going in this marathon of SEO (search engine optimisation). One need not stick to the targeted keyword, you can always reframe it. For example, Your targeted keyword was ‘ceiling fan’, but in your writing, you included ‘buying a ceiling fan’. This gives an impetus to your strategy of gaining more traffic.
- Including your keyword in your domain name is the best shot you should get. If you are looking forward to including the strategic keyword in your domain then it should not be obnoxious and too long. Google in 2012 decided to shut down all fraudulent domains who wanted to rank primarily on the basis of their domain name. So, you better prepare yourself before taking this step.
The above-listed points brief you about how to start with selecting a keyword and also guide you on its proper use. At one go you cannot get 10,000 visits but should strive for it over. It is a gradual and dynamic process which needs constant attention.